Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Goodbye to the Six Pack!

It has been awhile so thought I better give you an update on "The Six Pack" as we affectionately call them.  When the kittens arrived, they were full of confidence.  They strutted around with their tails up, some even had their tails up and over their backs and they loved to run and chase each other. They were so full of personality, and each one was a bit different from each other and we found it fascinating to watch them. Very cute!  They soon learned the routine of going to bed at night, and getting up in the morning, and when feeding times were.  Soon, whenever I opened the door, it was always a race to see how many kittens will get past me and into the hallway - only to be blocked of going any further by the dog tag team of Joey and Sadie!  The tabby and white male and the black and white female both got pretty attached to me.  They would rather follow me around and see what I was up to than anything else.  The tabby/white male is also knicknamed The Explorer, as he loved to check out the rest of the house - with his tail high in the air of course.  :)  The b/w female also loved to have me hold her and she would just stay there purring, she is very sweet and gentle.

Here are a few pictures of the six:

Trying to get them all together for a family portrait was
a bit challenging!  :)

There, that's better - well, mostly!  

Yay!

Male
 
*Female
  
Female

*Female

Male
Female
*Adopted as of Nov 6

On October 29, I brought the kittens in to the shelter for their scheduled health check and vaccine boosters.  Turns out they were big enough to go up for adoption so I had to say goodbye to them.  The shelter has two locations, and the other shelter location had an opening for them so I drove them over there.  It was really hard to say goodbye to this group.  And this time, there wasn't another litter to foster right away to keep my mind off of them, so that room was really empty and quiet.  The dogs didn't understand, they kept laying outside the kitten door waiting for some little kitten paws to come out from under the door - a favorite game of both the kittens and the dogs!  Kinda sad really.

My husband and I stopped by the next day to see them in the shelter.  As soon as they saw us, they ran to the front of the cage and started mewing.  It was hard to leave them.  Again.  A week later we stopped by again, this time only four were left.  The tabby and white female, and the black faced black and white female were both adopted. I hope they found wonderful homes and are happy.

Now to find wonderful homes for the other four.  My husband and I are planning to be cat-free once our cat is gone (he's 15).  My husband will be retiring in just a few years and we want to travel. We can travel with the dogs, but it would be more difficult to travel with a cat.  And it would be nice to have a break from litterboxes - we have had cats most of our adult lives.  And did I mention that I'm allergic to cats?  :)  But I am finding it harder to keep that promise now... the b/w female has captured my heart.  And my husband isn't saying no... Stay tuned to see whether she ends up back with us for keeps!  :)

Oh, and today (Nov 9) I got a phone call that the shelter needs a temporary foster home for a singleton kitten as his foster mom has to be out of town for a few days to attend a funeral and could we take her in for just a few days.  Sure!  We'd love to!  I'll be picking her up tomorrow morning.  And so it goes...  :)



   

No comments:

Post a Comment