We brought home a Mama Kitty and two four-week-old kittens on Thursday, Jan 5th. They had been dropped off at the shelter covered in fleas the day prior. A third kitten was in really bad shape when they were first brought in and struggling and it didn't make it. The mama and two remaining kittens were treated for fleas and the mama was given her first vaccines. One of the two remaining kittens was lethargic and acting spacey when I picked them up the next morning so kept a close eye on her. All the fleas were now off of them, but it was obvious that the damage by those blood suckers had already been done. They were all suffering from flea anemia, their gums were pale, one of the two kittens gums and tongue were almost white. I tried all the tricks to get her to overcome this, and she had times when she seemed to be responding, but at 11pm, she crashed. I rushed her to the emergency vet where I met up with my foster coordinator. The kitten couldn't be saved and we had to say goodbye to her. What a shock. I never had a kitten die before. I knew they were fragile, but now I have a whole new understanding about how very important it is to keep your pets healthy and free of fleas. A flea can suck all the blood out of a little kitten! But mother and her remaining kitten are doing fine. Color has come back, the kitten is playful and acting normally for her age. Her mama is even playing with her as a littermate would do, they seem to really enjoy each others company. Very sweet to watch! I am trying to get some current pictures of her, but she is now at that crazy active stage where every picture is a blur!
| Here she is just a few days after arriving |
![]() |
| This is the Mama Kitty |
Another thing that happened around here is there was a call for help from the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel community. A Cavalier near Portland needed to come into Cavalier Rescue and they were looking for a foster home and transport in the Pacific NW, or else transport down to California. I contacted them, they put me in touch with the family, and we drove down to Portland a week ago Saturday to pick up a 5 year old tri-colored Cavalier and bring him back home with us. Just as the weather was getting colder and a snow storm was coming in but we made it there and back safely. It was a long 10 hour day. He has some health issues, heart murmur and possibly Syringomyelia (SM), so now that he's been to see our regular vet I am setting up appointments for him to see specialists and get him on meds before he is available for adoption. It's been interesting having another Cavalier around here. It was a bit of an adjustment at first, but he has now figured out our routines and has accepted his place in our pack, so things are getting back to normal around here.
And soon after arriving home from Portland, the snow hit. A foot of snow actually. K-12 schools were closed for a week, and it was difficult to get around. But luckily we were all set for groceries for awhile, so I planned to stay home until the roads cleared. Well, except for taking the foster dog to the vet on Tuesday. I was not missing that appointment! Tuesday was a calm day, no new snow, so was able to drive to the vet and back home with not even a slip or slide! So happy I have a Subaru! Of course then another system came through and dumped more snow, but we were cozy and warm inside the house. Luckily we didn't lose power like so many did around Puget Sound. I have friends down in King and Pierce Counties who still don't have power. The snow is melted here now and things are getting back to some kind of normal. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment