I quickly read through the entire handbook, all 117 pages, and realized that I wanted to do this, and I could do this! So I filled out the application and dropped it by the shelter last week Tuesday and spoke with the Foster Coordinator. We got along right away! We set up a home inspection visit for Friday afternoon which would give me time to finish getting the room ready.
The Room! It used to be our old cats room. After #3 oldie cat passed away we had gutted the room, repainted the walls, and put down some carpet. When I told DH about my new project, he got right to work with me in setting up the room! We rolled up the carpet and picked up some inexpensive vinyl and installed it. I then made a trip to a couple pet stores to pick up bedding, dishes, food, litter, toys etc.
On Friday, the Foster Coordinator arrived right on time and was here about an hour, mostly just talking with me about various scenarios, etc. She loved the space and felt I had the same goals as they did so felt I would be a great addition to their team! YES! I did it! I am now officially a Foster Parent for the Humane Society! She said that since everything was already full, the next one into the shelter needing a space would come to me. Yay!
Saturday at noon my phone rang. It was the Foster Coordinator saying they had a kitten for me. He was 7 weeks and had been sitting in the road and was hit by a car and his face was all bloody when they brought him in, plus he was dirty and full of fleas. They put him on an antibiotic just to make sure his injuries didn't get infected, he's being wormed, and he was treated when he first arrived at the shelter for fleas and ear mites. They held him in the back for the mandatory three days and started treatment for him. No one came in to claim him so he went into foster care with me. :)
At first he was unsure, but started eating a little Saturday night and peed in his litter box. He wasn't quite sure about playing with toys yet. But when we pet him, he immediately responded with the loudest purr that could be heard from across the room! :)
Sunday he felt more confident and sure of himself and started seeking out his toys to play with, and lounged lengthwise in his bed instead of crouched in a ball. He climbs the cat scratching post and sits on top looking around, then climbs down grabbing the hanging mouse as he goes. He's a great little guy! Great personality, friendly, very loving. He is even getting used to our dogs now too. :)
Here are a few pictures of him.
| This was taken two hours after his arrival to our home. |
| Such a little guy! |
![]() | ||
| You can see his owies from being hit by a car. |
I have his next dose of dewormer to give him on Wednesday (August 11) and then he goes back to the shelter a week later for his next dose, a weigh in, and for a recheck. At that time, he may be well enough and big enough to be adopted!
Keep your fingers crossed for this sweet boy that he finds a wonderful forever home. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment