The Foster Coordinator, Emily, told me that I would have a couple days to get the room sanitized and then she'd like to place another with me. Everything had to be sanitized. The floor, bedding, dishes, litterbox, wire crate, anything the kitten touched basically. So I did all that, including giving my own dogs a bath.
On Friday morning I contacted her to let her know we were ready to foster again. Later that afternoon she contacted me. She had a mama cat with a litter of four young kittens about 3 weeks old that had just arrived at the shelter. The kittens were too young to stay at the shelter where they would be exposed to all kinds of diseases that they weren't strong enough to fight off. I immediately went over to the shelter to pick them up. Emily took me into the back to see the little family and talk about their needs. She then grabbed a crate and loaded them up along with a bag of food for mama. As I was loading them into my car, the director saw me and thanked me so much for volunteering to help with fostering. I let her know that I had been thinking about doing it for awhile, but it was her plea on Facebook for hands on help with fostering that got me to act. She was pleased to hear it, she wasn't sure if anyone was reading her posts!
I got the little family home and settled into their new temporary home. The mama is very pretty, and has a big fluffy tail. The babies have their eyes open and are walking, although they are quite wobbly. Very cute! For whatever reason, mama doesn't want to lay in the bed, she'd rather lay on the floor of the crate, so then the babies have to lay on the floor to nurse. But when the babies aren't nursing, they sleep and play in the bed so at least its getting some use.
I feel so blessed to be in a position to be able to help these babies in need and make a difference. It's an amazing feeling!
Just catching up with by blog reading after the holidays! LOL
ReplyDeleteYou have such a good heart, Teri. I'm sure you are a terrific 'Mum' to your charges.
Here's hoping there will be plenty more of them in the future! :D
Thank you Diane! It means a lot!! :)
ReplyDelete