On Wednesday, June 29th, I took the foster kitten that I had picked up on May 17 back to the shelter to be adopted. It was quite difficult to say goodbye to her. She was in bad shape when I first got her, weak and underweight. She was unable/unwilling to eat on her own, probably due to not eating for a long period of time. So I had to syringe kitten formula into her and then started bottle feeding her on a regular basis. It was concerning because she was still losing weight. She was very lethargic and just slept on our laps as we watched tv in between her feedings. One day she started eating canned food after I gave it another try of putting some on her lips to lick off. From then on, she drank her formula and ate her canned AND dry food and started putting the ounces back on - yes! She also got stronger and was more active. She learned to play! To climb a scratching post! To hit a ball around the room! She was a little wobbly at first, but she was off like a rocket trying to make up for lost time! Because she was around the dogs from the beginning, she was quite confident around them. Here are a few more photos of her:


 |
| Watching tv with "Dad" |
 |
| Hanging out in Dad's chair with her "littermate" bunny. |
 |
| She learned to untie shoes! |
|
 |
| Confident around dogs |
 |
| Scratching and watching my camera's wrist loop! |
After I dropped her off at the shelter, I got a call later that afternoon saying that a shelter down in Seattle had a shortage of kittens and so they were sending their kittens down there the next morning, and am I okay with including her in that group. I found out that because Seattle is so large, they have a much larger demand for kittens than we do and she will probably be in her forever home in just a few days. She hates it in the shelter so I knew it was the right thing for her. It was so difficult though, not knowing if she was going to be okay. My husband and I ended up going down to the shelter in Seattle the following Sunday to check on her and see the shelter. When we got there, we found out that she had been adopted already! Whew! That was a close call! If she was still there, she might have come home with us as a permanent member of our family! :-) Now on to the next group of foster kittens that needs us...
No comments:
Post a Comment